7 Health Benefits of a Good Massage
After a stressful day at work, nothing beats getting a nice massage to relax and unwind. It is a good thing that massage places are now everywhere. There are a lot of establishments in Montreal that offer massages so finding one will not be a problem at all.
Aside from the relaxation that it brings, a massage can also provide a number of health benefits. Some even use massage therapy to treat acute and chronic conditions. A massage is not just something that can make you feel relaxed, it can also be considered as an alternative treatment which can be used to make you feel better and alleviate pain and illness.
If you need more reasons to get a massage, here are some of the benefits that it can bring:
- Massage reduces stress. A massage decreases the production of cortisol, also known as the stress hormone. As a result, you can experience a lifted mood and lower blood pressure.
- It eases muscle pain and improve recovery. A massage can significantly help in addressing sore muscles by increasing and improving circulation. Studies show that people who experience pain are able to function better after getting a massage compared to those who did not.
- It helps manage depression. A massage is not just relaxing for the body, it can also boost your serotonin and dopamine which are neurotransmitters involved in depression. Aside from that, a safe, friendly, and professional human touch proves to be incredibly therapeutic.
- It can boost your immune system. A massage can lead to better functioning of the immune system by increasing levels of cells which fight bacteria and viruses. Also, since it reduces stress, it can also keep you healthier.
- It can help you fall asleep faster and better. A massage encourages a restful sleep because it promotes relaxation. A number of studies suggest that this is due to the effect of massage on the delta waves which are brain waves connected to deep sleep.
- It can help relieve constipation. If you are having problems with your bowel movement, a little massage in the perinium area can do the trick. Some have even reported that massaging helps improve their overall bowel function.
- It can provide relief from headaches. A massage or regular rubdown can help reduce the frequency of migraine attacks and tension headaches and can even lessen the severity of the pain.
Massages definitely have a lot of health benefits. Depending on the type of massage, it can even be used to help patients with more serious conditions such as digestive disorders, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain syndrome, soft tissue sprains and injuries, temporomandibular joint and even cancer. It may not necessarily cure illnesses and cannot be used to replace medical care, but a nice and properly executed massage can significantly help and make people feel better physically and mentally.